European Union News Feeds:
News from Euractiv.com
- EU clinches deal on multi-billion euro budget for 2014-2020 (News)
- posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:25:53 +0200
Negotiators reached a provisional deal late Wednesday (19 June) to finalise the European Union's €960 billion long-term budget, amid doubts that the socialists will back the agreement in the European Parliament.
- MEPs back phase-out of F-gas coolants blamed for global warming (News)
- posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:22:42 +0200
The European Parliament's Environment Committee has backed a sweeping ban on the use in refrigerators and air conditioners of fluorinated gases - greenhouse gases that are many thousands of times more damaging than carbon dioxide in warming up the earth's atmosphere.
- Parliament committee votes to prop up EU's ailing carbon market (News)
- posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:22:04 +0200
The European Parliament's Environment Committee has given its support to a compromise plan to boost the price of allowances on the EU's carbon market.
Headlines from BBC News
- Obama calls for nuclear arsenal cuts
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:26:22 GMT
- Speaking at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, President Barack Obama calls for reductions to be made in US and Russian nuclear stockpiles.
- IMF: Spain making strong progress
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:20:43 GMT
- The IMF says Spain has made strong progress on its economy, but the outlook remains "difficult" and more action is needed to boost job creation.
- Dolce and Gabbana sentenced to jail
- Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:35:27 GMT
- Italian fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana are sentenced to jail in Italy for tax evasion but have appealed against the verdict.
Europe Headlines from NYTimes.com
- World Briefing | Europe: British Court Rules Against Sanctions on Iranian Bank
- posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 01:22:03 GMT
- The decision raised new questions about the country’s secret courts and was a vindication for the Iranian bank, Bank Mellat, which had spent four years fighting the sanctions designation.
- World Briefing | Europe: Kosovo’s First Envoy to Serbia Resigns After Two Days
- posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 01:18:53 GMT
- Serbia and its former southern province exchanged official representatives on Monday under a push by the European Union to improve ties between the Balkan neighbors.
- World Briefing | Europe: Quest for Sainthood for John Paul II Said to Advance
- posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 01:04:31 GMT
- A Vatican official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said a commission of theologians approved a miracle attributed to John Paul’s intercession.
News from the European Commission
- G8 leaders work on improving trade
- posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:00:00 MEST
G8 leaders focus on trade and the economy, taxation and business corruption at annual meeting – 17 and 18 June.
- No place for tax cheats
- posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:00:00 MEST
Proposal would extend EU rules on mandatory exchange of personal financial information to cover all income.
- Keeping Europe’s steel sector competitive
- posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 12:00:00 MEST
Action plan tackles fall in demand, environmental challenges and unfair competition with focus on cost-cutting and innovation.
Headlines from European Voice
- Ashton in power struggle over Middle East policy
- Thu, 20 Jun 2013 06:05:00 GMT
- Foreign policy chief clashes with member states over EU's position on the peace process.
- Ministers look to insulate public from bank rescues
- Thu, 20 Jun 2013 06:02:00 GMT
- Member states at odds over draft legislation. <br> <a href="http://www.europeanvoice.com/article/imported/eu-leaders-to-show-commitment-to-banking-union-/77576.aspx">EU leaders to show commitment to banking union </a>
- Reding insists US data snooping must be curbed
- Thu, 20 Jun 2013 05:59:00 GMT
- Commissioner criticises US authorities.
Latest Blog Entries from Revealing Romania
In 2009, ten journalism students from the University of Illinois took on the roles of foreign correspondents during a three-week reporting trip to Romania and Italy under the guidance of Journalism Professor Nancy Benson. Romania is a gateway to exploring European Union expansion.