Upcoming Movie Nights (.pdf)
- The Great War Film Series: What Price Glory? (1952)
- showing Thu, 09 Oct 2014 19:00:00 CDT
- What Price Glory? (1952), directed by John Ford In 1918 France, Captain Flagg commands a disreputable company of Marines; his new top sergeant is his old friendly enemy, Quirt. The two men become rivals for the favors of fair innkeeper's daughter Charmaine, but the rivalry goes into reverse when Charmaine proves to be angling for a husband. When the company is ordered to the front, this comedy interlude gives way to the grim realities of war.
- European Movie Night: Johan – The Netherlands, 2005
- showing Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:00:00 CDT
- What happens when your whole family is crazy about soccer and you’re not? Johan is the eleventh male child in a family of soccer players. The boys make up a complete soccer team, but Johan defies them all by wanting to be a singer. Instead of practicing dribbling and headers, Johan would rather listen to music with his mother. When he meets his neighborhood beauty Evy, it seems like he may have found a companion, until she falls for a soccer star, his brother Johnny. When Johnny and Evy become a celebrity size couple – a-la Beckham & Posh, Johan must realize his own dreams elsewhere. Johan is a high end music filled trip to soccer crazy Europe, a romantic coming-of-age comedy, about finding your voice. In Dutch with English subtitles. Movie is free and open to the public.
- The Great War Film Series: Gallipoli (1981)
- showing Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:00:00 CDT
- Gallipoli (1981), directed by Peter WeirTwo Australian sprinters face the brutal realities of war when they are sent to fight in the Gallipoli campaign in Turkey during World War I.
- The Great War Film Series: Good Soldier Schweik (1960)
- showing Thu, 13 Nov 2014 19:00:00 CST
- Good Soldier Schweik (1960), directed by Axel von AmbesserThis is a deft satire by Axel von Ambesser that undercuts the adage that a soldier must always obey orders, no matter what. At the heart of the story is Schwejk (Heinz Ruhmann), a canine salesman who is drafted into the army during World War I. The setting is Bohemia when it was under the sway of a combined Austro-Hungarian rule. Once Schwejk has his uniform on he so devotedly follows the very letter of the law, every order that is given him, that he comes off as a total idiot. Nevertheless, he manages quite well with this tactic, whether it is feigned or not.
- The Great War Film Series: Joyeux Noël (2005)
- showing Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:00:00 CST
- Joyeux Noël (2005), directed by Christian CarionOn Christmas Eve during world War I, the Germans, French, and Scottish fraternize and get to know the men who live on the opposite side of a brutal war, in what became a true lesson of humanity.
- European Movie Night: Les Poupées Russes (Russian Dolls) – France, 2005
- showing Mon, 08 Dec 2014 18:00:00 CST
- A French writer finds his life is once again being turned sideways by his footloose European friends in this sequel to the international hit L'Auberge Espagnole. Five years after we last saw him, Xavier (Romain Duris) has given up his aspirations of a career in international finance, but his new path as a writer isn't going as well as he hoped; his novel about his experiences in Spain has yet to be published, and lately he's been writing scripts for a French soap opera. He reunites with his friends in unexpected ways in London, Paris, and Moscow. Multilingual with English subtitles. Movie is free and open to the public.
Previous Movies (listed alphabetically)
The date and time listed under each title refers to the date and time the film was shown in the EUC Movie Night series.
Sep 24, 2008 - 7:00 pm
Director: Anders Thomas Jensen
Running time: 94 mins
Description: A neo-nazi sentenced to community service at a church clashes with the blindly devotional priest.
The Boss of it All
Oct 15, 2011 - 5:15 pm
Country: Denmark, 2006
Languages: Danish, Icelandic
Director: Lars von Trier
Running time: 99 mins
Description: An IT company hires an actor to serve as the company's president in order to help the business get sold to a cranky Icelander.
Coco Before Chanel
Mar 31, 2010 - 6:00 pm
Languages: French and English
Director: Anne Fontaine
Running time: 105 mins
Description: The story of Coco Chanel's rise from obscure beginnings to the heights of the fashion world.
Feb 18, 2009 - 7:00 pm
Country: Greece, 2007
Languages: Albanian, German, Greek, English, and French
Director: Angeliki Antoniou
Running time: 104 mins
Description: Based upon true events Eduart, a young man raised in a cruel and oppressive family environment, leaves Albania with the dream of becoming a rock star and living a better life. His reckless character and the passions of his youth lead him to commit a murder in Athens. Chased by everyone, even by his own self, he is imprisoned under the harshest conditions. Eduart, with the help of a German doctor, learns to feel sympathy for others and guilt for his crime. His deep remorse will lead him from darkness to light. Like the Dostoevskian hero Raskolnikov, Eduart passes from crime to punishment, by daring to admit his guilt.
Nov 30, 2011 - 6:00 pm
Country: Germany, 2004
Director: Hans Weingartner
Running time: 127 mins
Description: Three activists cobble together a kidnapping plot after they encounter a businessman in his home.
First Time Godfather
Apr 15, 2010 - 5:15 pm
Country: Greece, 2007
Languages: Greek and English with English subtitles
Director: Olga Malea
Running time: 96 mins
Description: Raised in America, 11 year-old Alex travels to Crete to step in for his politician father at a local christening. His foreign looks, his difficulty with the Greek language, the Cretan's particularities and the tests he’s forced to endure to be accepted as the worthy son of the leader culminate in a comedy with political wrangling, existential distresses and tragicomic situations. Alex’s first initiation in the art and tricks of politics will mark him for the rest of his life.
Apr 24, 2008 - 6:00 pm
Country: German, 2005
Director: Anno Saul
Running time: 95 mins
Description: In Hamburg, Ibrahim "Ibo" Secmez, of Turkish descent, wants to direct the first German kung-fu movie. For now, he makes commercials for his uncle's kebab restaurant. Titzie, an aspiring actress and Ibo's German girlfriend, finds she's pregnant. Ibo is uncertain about fatherhood - compounded by his father's disowning him for getting a German girl pregnant - so Titzie sends him packing. He makes attempts at getting it right, but as the birth approaches, he's still not ready. In the background are three thugs in search of good tripe soup and a Capulet-Montegue feud between the kebab joint and a Greek taverna across the street.
The Last Homecoming
Jan 28, 2010 - 5:15 pm
Director: Korinna Avraamidou
Running time: 85 mins
Description: A love story set amid the unstable political landscape of 1974 Cyprus. A world of beauty and innocence will be threatened, while loss and betrayal will change things forever. A menage a trois with two brothers falling for the same woman, a prophetic staging of Euripides' "Trojan Women" at the seaside town, a passionate nationalist who is driven to the extreme: a small community living its personal stories, dreams, hidden and compelling desires, set at the backdrop of the political turbulence of that summer.
The Lives of Others
Nov 11, 2009 - 7:00 pm
Country: Germany, 2006
Director: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
Running time: 137 mins
Description: In 1984 East Berlin, an agent of the secret police, conducting surveillance on a writer and his lover, finds himself becoming increasingly absorbed by their lives.
Mar 30, 2011 - 5:15 pm
Country: Lithuania, 2008
Languages: Lithuanian with English
Director: Maris Marthinsons
Running time: 96 mins
Description: Mentally ill young woman Valda convinces herself that a boy growing up in an orphanage is her child. Following the footsteps of a thousands Lithuanians, she immigrates to Ireland to earn money to save him. "Loss" portrays beauty and tragedy in the human heart.
Made in Europe
Mar 11, 2009 - 7:00 pm
Languages: Turkish, Spanish, French, and German
Director: Inan Temelkuran
Running time: 98 mins
Description: Stories of Turkish people living in three European cities Madrid, Paris, and Berlin. Most are illegal immigrants, and while seeking for permits or living in hide outs they go through life dealing with humiliation, insecurities, betrayals, self-pity.
Sep 14, 2011 - 6:00 pm
Country: Ireland, 2004
Director: Danny Boyle
Running time: 98 mins
Description: Ethics, being human and the soul come to the fore when a 7-year old finds a bag of Pounds just days before the currency is switched to Euros and learns what we are really made of.
Mondays in the Sun
Nov 2, 2011 - 5:15 pm
Country: Spain, 2002
Director: Fernando LeÃ³n de Aranoa
Running time: 113 mins
Description: This is the story of those who live in a constant Sunday, those who spend mondays under the Sun. The story of people who worked in a dockyard but now are unemployed.
Feb 17, 2010 - 6:00 pm
United States, 2008
Languages: English, German, Greek, and Latin
Director: Stephen Daldry
Running time: 124 mins
Description: Post-WWII Germany: Nearly a decade after his affair with an older woman came to a mysterious end, law student Michael Berg re-encounters his former lover as she defends herself in a war-crime trial.
The Spanish Apartment
Jul 10, 2008 - 9:00 pm
Languages: French, Spanish, English, Catalan, Danish, German, and Italian with English subtitles
Director: CÃ©dric Klapisch
Running time: 122 mins
Description: A strait-laced French student moves into an apartment in Barcelona with a cast of six other characters from all over Europe. Together, they speak the international language of love and friendship.
Up and Down
Sep 17, 2010 - 7:00 pm
Country: Czech Republic, 2004
Languages: Czech, English, German, and Russian
Director: Jan Hrebejk
Running time: 108 mins
Description: The discovery of an abandoned child by two smugglers kicks into a gear a series of tragic, comic events.
We Can Do That
Apr 20, 2011 - 5:15 pm
Country: Italy, 2008
Languages: Italian with English subtitles
Director: Giulio Manfredonia
Running time: 111 mins
Description: Nello is an out of work former trade unionist who has been sent to run a cooperative of mental patients released from Italy's psychiatric hospitals following the Basaglia Law. Shocked by their over medicated ways of life, Nello seeks to find a more beneficial life for them. Two of the clients Gigio (Andrea Bosca) and Luca (Giovanni Calcagno) show an unusual ability for installing parquet flooring. This leads to the rest of the former patients forming a flooring company with Nello coordinator the operation.
When We Leave
Feb 23, 2011 - 5:15 pm
Country: Germany, 2010
Languages: German and Turkish with English subtitles
Director: Feo Aladag
Running time: 119 mins
Description: Umay is a young woman of Turkish descent, fighting for an independent and self-determined life in Germany against the resistance of her family. Her struggle initiates a dynamic, which results in a life-threatening situation.
You, the Living
Jan 26, 2011 - 5:15 pm
Country: Sweden, 2007
Languages: Swedish with English subtitles
Director: Roy Anderesson
Running time: 95 mins
Description: You, the Living is a film about humankind, its greatness and its baseness, joy and sorrow, its self-confidence and anxiety, its desire to love and be loved.