Euro Challenge 2015
Timeline & Calendar of Important Dates for Il & Midwest Teams (except MI) (.pdf)
Registartion Deadline: December 31, 2014.
Join Euro Challenge competition and get a chance to win
CASH PRIZES and TRAVEL TO NYC & DC
Teachers of top IL team will win a chance to go on a
Study Tour to EUROPE*
Welcome to the Euro Challenge 2015
Welcome to the Euro Challenge 2015 – an exciting educational opportunity for high schools students (grades 9 & 10) to learn about the European Union (EU) – the largest trading partner of the US – and its single currency, the euro. The program offers students of global studies, economics, world history/geography or European studies a unique experience that moves them out of the classroom into the real world.
For the competition, students research problems and solutions to Europe's economic challenges. A team of three to five students presents its findings in a competition format. The best teams from each region travel to NYC to compete in the national finals at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Conditional on an annual grant, winning teams can win awards and a trip to Washington generously offered by the Moody's Foundation.
The competition requires no previous knowledge of economics or Europe, and students and teachers can acess an array of educational resources and training materials on the competition website: http://www.euro-challenge.org
What's in it for students and teachers?
- Expense-paid trip to Chicago for Midwest regional round and to New York City for Finalists (For Illinois teachers only. Limited travel grants and substitute teacher fees available, apply early!)**
- Winning teams win $$
- Teacher of top IL team will get a chance to win a place on Summer study tour to Europe through the University of Illinois European Union Center in Summer 2015*
- Opportunity to present to experts at Federal Reserve Banks of New York and Chicago
- All competing students will get a certificate of accomplishment
Learning resources and support
- Orientation webinars and workshops give teachers (and students) a chance to learn about the competition. See the calendar for details.
- Check out the Euro Challenge Website for training videos, research materials, and web resources
- Participate in the Euro Challenge @ Facebook
How do you find out more? How to Register?
Registration is now open. Register here. Registration Deadline: December 31, 2014. December, 2014. For more information about the competition in Illinois, please
The Euro Challenge is a program of the Delegation of the European Union to the United States of America. It is managed by Working in Support of Education and run with the help of regional partner organizations. The program is run by the University of Illinois European Union Center, in partnership with the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, in Illinois.
* The Study Tour to Europe is funded by the European Commission’s European Union Center of Excellence grant and organized by the EUCE Network Coordinator on behalf of the Network of EU Centers of Excellence. Teachers who have participated in previous Study Tours to Europe organized by the University of Illinois European Union Center are welcome and encouraged to participate in the euro challenge competition but are not eligible to join the Study Tour to Europe in Summer 2015.
**The University of Illinois EU Center has funds to cover expenses for Illinois teacers only. Limited travel grants and substitute teacher fees available, apply early! If you are a Wisconsin or Indiana teacher, please contact Csanád Siklós at the European Studies Alliance at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and 812-856-3832 at the Indiana University European Union Center respectively. If you are from another Midwest state, please contact Sebnem Ozkan at the University of Illinois EU Center.