- Program in Good Governance
The program entails one semester of language preparation and web-based study at University of Illinois, followed by a second semester at a University in Austria, Finland, Ireland or Italy. Participating students can choose to focus on one of several areas of good governance, including, but not limited to, Participatory Democracy, Governance and Business, Environmental Policy and Sustainable Growth, Social Policy, Public Finance, and Transatlantic Finance. Students may also design their own course of study.
Contact us for more information.
- Vienna Diplomatic Program
This Spring Semester program begins in Urbana-Champaign for three weeks of Political Science 393, followed by two weeks of orientation in Vienna, followed by the regular University of Vienna semester. The University of Vienna offers many courses in English that tend to focus on international business and economics topics, but some deal with European or political topics.
The University of Illinois has signed memorandums of understanding with many institutions which allow it to offer programs of study abroad all over the world, administered by several offices listed below:
- Study Abroad Office
Contains links to useful information for those considering studying abroad, as well as a comprehensve, searchable list of programs available through the University of Illinois.
- International Programs in Engineering
Currently, IPENG has programs at universities in Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, Jordan, and Russia, and more are continually being developed in these and other countries. The college works closely with the campus Study Abroad Office on other study abroad programs in countries around the globe.
- Business Study Abroad
The College of Business offers programs in Austria, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain and the United Kingdom. These programs are only available for undergrad students in the College of Business.
- International Programs in Liberal Arts & Sciences
In addition to semester and year-long programs, courses are available during the winter and summer breaks... Special study abroad opportunities are available as well, including internships and teaching assistantships.
- College of ACES Study Abroad Program
ACES offers programs ranging from from a ten day study tour, to summer courses or internships abroad, to studying at a partner university for a semester or academic year. Semester programs are available in Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden.
The University of Illinois offers courses in many languages, see a partial list of EU related courses here.
- National Institution for Summer Scandinavian Studies Located at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the National Institution for Summer Scandinavian Studies offers intensive Swedish and Norwegian classes. Two topics courses, one on the Vikings and one on Hans Christian Andersen, will also be taught. The courses are FLAS approved.
Arizona State University Critical Languages Institute
The CLI offers tuition-free eight-week summer intensive language courses in Albanian, Armenian, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Macedonian, Polish, Russian, Tajik, Tatar, Ukrainian, and Uzbek. Three-week language courses abroad in Tirana, Yerevan, Sarajevo, Ohrid, Poznan, and Kazan are also available.
- Erasmus Mundus Program: The Erasmus Mundus program is operated by the European Commission to promote higher education in the EU. The program funds scholarships for one and two year courses of graduate study- to be accomplished at at least two participating European Universities. Programs are available in nearly all academic disciplines.
- UAS7 Study & Internship Program UAS7 is a consortium of seven German Universities of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule), offering American and Canadian undergraduates the SIP: one semester of study at a participating institution followed by a six-month paid internship at a German company.
- CIEE Study Europe "The Council on International Educational Exchange is the leading U.S. non-governmental international education organization. CIEE creates and administers programs that allow high school and university students and educators to study and teach abroad." - about CIEE
- IES European Union "One of the nation's oldest, largest, and most reputable study abroad providers, IES is a growing Chicago-based, not-for-profit organization that enrolls more than 5,000 students annually." - about IES
- The Romanian Cultural Institute Courses in Romanian Language, Culture and Civilization "The courses in Romanian language are based on a flexible curriculum, adapted to the students' needs, combining basic vocabulary and grammar lessons, group and individual activities that aim to develop fluency in communication and to consolidate grammar structures."
- Centre International de Formation Européenne Summer University Programs Centre International de Formation Européenne (CIFE) organises several university courses each summer in various countries and working languages.
- NYU at Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona The program offers six-week courses on Barcelona and EU history to graduate students and advanced undergraduates. "The program features customized visits to institutional and cultural sites and interviews with experts and policymakers. Students learn firsthand about the complexities of Europe and the Mediterranean by observing the social and political realities of Barcelona, where the most crucial issues facing the European and Mediterranean regions all come into play."
- Adelphi-Civitas Summer Professional Internship Program Located in Warsaw, Poland, Collegium Civitas offers undergraduate and graduate courses taught in Englsh and Polish. Offered in partnerhip with Adelphi University of New York, the two-month Summer Professional Internship program includes a seminar at the Collegium and a professional intership placement with a local organization.
- Manfred Woerner Seminar The German Marshall Fund invites individual applications for the 2008 Manfred Wörner Seminar. Americans and Germans between 25 and 35 years of age at the time of travel, who have an outstanding record of achievement in their profession, are encouraged to apply. The next Manfred Wörner Seminar takes place from May 1 - May 11, 2008. For American candidates interested in participating in the 2008 program, the deadline for applications is Friday, January 25, 2008. Download the Call for Applications.
- European Union Visitors Program
The European Union Visitors Program (EUVP) invites young, promising leaders from countries outside the European Union to visit Europe to gain a first-hand appreciation of the EU's goals, policies and peoples and to increase mutual understanding between professionals from non-EU countries and their EU counterparts... An EUVP visit consists of an individual 5- to 8-day program of meetings with EU officials at the EU institutions in Brussels, Strasbourg and/or Luxembourg... Please note that the EUVP is not designed as a program for students: its participants are required to have completed their university education or equivalent training and to have been employed for several years in their chosen career field. View the Application Form.
- European Spring Institute on the Future of Europe
The European Spring/Summer Institute is a seven-day academic program designed to bring together undergraduate and graduate students of various nationalities and academic backgrounds from the USA, Western and Eastern Europe, and other parts of the world to learn and enjoy their holidays in the unique academic and cultural environment...The program combines intensive academic courses with cultural, social, and recreational opportunities. View the Application Form.
- International Summer School Hamburg: Buddhism into the 21st Century
The International Summer School of the University of Hamburg Center for Buddhist Studies is explicitly designed for European and international students from all fields of study. It considers exciting questions and offers answers and discussions from an academic point of view during a packed one week course. The registration deadline is May 31 2008 and spcae is limited. Register.